Happy Monday Striders!!!
Welcome to the Monday Weekend Round-Up! Each Monday, following a Gold Cup race weekend, you will be receiving an email like this one with a recap of the previous weekend, as well as any follow up information you need to know.
Again, I just want to welcome all our new Striders! I hope you all have an amazing season!
In this bulletin:
Spirit Run 5K
Well that's more like it...! A little warmer, but boy was it hilly...! It was great seeing everyone this weekend...! With that in mind, here are a few reminders:
- Scoring of the race has been completed, and you can find the SCORED RESULTS HERE. Please review the results for any issues, and report any discrepancies to the Statistician.
- We have also updated the CURRENT STANDINGS HERE. Again, please review and report any discrepancies to the Statistician.
- For those of you who are new, you may not be aware that one of the items at the Gold Cup table at each race is a race evaluation. All the feedback we receive on these evaluations goes to the race directors, as well as being integral to the construction of our schedule in future seasons. If you didn't get a chance to fill it out on Saturday, you can FILL OUT THE EVAL HERE.
- Finally, we want your photos! In the spirit of the community, we want to put together an online album for each race this season! Any photos you wish to contribute can be emailed to the Archivist.
TOP 5 MALE
- Aaron Cook [19:13.3]
- Brian Culbreth [19:57.7]
- Vincent Rinas [20:12.8]
- Tim Gross [20:34.3]
- Ruben Falcon [21:53.6]
TOP 5 FEMALE
- Stephanie Burkholder [21:16.5]
- Amy Maciejewski [22:06.6]
- Marialena Nagel [22:24.2]
- Elaine Hendricks [23:57.4]
- Linda Murkve [24:14.4]
YOUNGEST & OLDEST MALE
- J. Nagel (Age 8) [43:05.0]
- Tom Magill (Age 93) [47:12.7]
YOUNGEST & OLDEST FEMALE
- O. Augustyn (Age 12) [31:40.4]
- Phyllis Hansen (Age 79) [46:23.3]
Gold Cup Race #4
SATURDAY APRIL 16, 2022 @ 9:45AM
Resurrection Run 10K / 5K
Door Village United Methodist Church
3502 Joliet Road, LaPorte, IN 46350
Scheduled of Events
8:00AM - NOON: Pancake Breakfast (Included w/ registration)
8:00AM: Packet Pickup & Race Day Registration Opens
9:45AM: 10K (GUN) Start
10:15AM: 5K (GUN) Start
(Online Registration ends Registration ends April 14, 2022 at 11:59pm CDT. There will be race day registration.)
A note from the Race Director:
This race will be BIB TEAR OFF OLD SCHOOL TIMING.
Please do not leave the finish line until they have taken the scoring section of your bib.
With that in mind, make sure to pin through the pin holes, NOT THROUGH THE SCORING TAG!
A note (or two) from the Gold Cup Chair / Statistician:
In order to receive points for this race, Gold Cup participants age 15 & over MUST complete the 10K, and Gold Cup participants age 14 & under MUST complete the 5K.
Those in the Athena/Clydesdale divisions, who have not yet weighed in, MUST weigh in at their next Gold Cup race in order to maintain eligibility for this division.
Jim Cox Scholarship
Jim Cox, a very active Calumet Region Striders member, was diagnosed with Leukemia in August 1993 and on October 15, 1993 succumbed to the disease at the age of 57 years. Jim’s family started a fund which CRS designated as a scholarship fund and is given to CRS members or their children when they enroll as college freshmen.
- In order to apply, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- be graduating from high school during academic application year,
- be a member or child of a member of the Calumet Region Striders,
- be a student in good standing at the high school you attend,
- complete the application in full (including essay), and
- provide proof of enrollment in a college/university for fall of application year to the Youth Program Chair.
The committee will review the applications and determine amounts and the Board will approve at the May Board meeting.
Applications can be submitted here.
Please keep in mind that the application deadline is April 30th at 11:59PM CDT.
*** *** ***
Track Season is COMING SOON!
OPEN FOR AGES 5-18
(Preferred minimum age: Kindergarten class of 2023)
Learn the fundamentals of track!
Participate in practices, inter-squad meets, local/national meets and HAVE FUN!
(Practices twice weekly in Crown Point/Merrillville)
Great way to get your child more involved in track, no matter their experience!
All practices coached by certified coaches!
Email questions to Head Coach Deanna: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** *** ***
If you would like to continue Jim's legacy, you can keep this scholarship going by donating to the Jim Cox Scholarship fund online, or by mailing a check to CRS, PO Box 225, Griffith, IN 46319. Please make checks out to the “Calumet Region Striders”, and put "Jim Cox Scholarship Fund" in memo area.
CONTINUE JIM'S LEGACY
You can also help support our Junior Striders Program by making a donation online, or by mailing a check to CRS, PO Box 225, Griffith, IN 46319. Please make checks out to the “Calumet Region Striders”, and put "Junior Striders" in memo area.
SUPPORT JR STRIDERS
In the attachments to this email, you will find for your convenience the most up to date copy of our Gold Cup Schedule, a copy of the membership application, as well as the currently available paper registrations for the following races:
- Gold Cup Race #5 - Hub Run 5K (April 23)
- Sponsored Race #2 - Cinco de Mayo Fiesta 5K (May 5)
- Please note that this is a THURSDAY EVENING.
- Race Registration link will be sent out as soon as it is available.
- Gold Cup Race #6 - Run Like a Mother 5K (May 8)
- Gold Cup Race #7 - Valpo Police Guardians of the Night 5K-9 Run (May 13)
- Gold Cup Race #8 - Lotus Reach 5K (May 21)
- Gold Cup Race #9 - Trail Run Xtreme 12K (May 30)
- Elite Series Race (Elite points available for Gold Cup Participants 19 & Over)
- Online Registration
- Gold Cup Race #10 - Munster Rotary Run-a-Round 10K/5K (June 11)
- 10K - Elite Series Race (Elite points available for Gold Cup Participants 19 & Over)
- In order to be eligible for Gold Cup scoring, runners age 15 & over must complete the 10K, and runners 14 & under must complete the 5K.
- Online Registration
Group Runs this Week
Monday - Outdoor Group Run (All Ages)
6:00pm @ Ironwood Brewery
6 Roosevelt Rd, Valparaiso, IN 46383
Leader: Karen Spoor
Distance: 4 Miles
Wednesday - Indoor Kids Group Run
5:30pm @ Dean and Barbara White Community Center
6600 Broadway, Merrillville, IN 46410
Leaders: Deanna Grimes & Ed Caccavale
Thursday - Outdoor Group Run (All Ages)
6:00pm @ Wicker Memorial Park
8554 Indianapolis Blvd, Highland, IN 46322
Leader: Heather Hobson
This run is weather permitting. If there is inclement weather, the run will be held indoors at the previous location of:
Hammond Sportsplex @ 6630 Indianapolis Blvd, Hammond, IN 46323.
Questions from the Week
- I am a Gold Cup member, but I haven't been scored... What do I do?
First, please check that you have purchased the Gold Cup upgrade. You can confirm this HERE. However, if you have purchased the upgrade, but still have issues, please contact the Statistician who will investigate. (She is human and can make mistakes).
- Why am I being scored in the (...) age group? Shouldn't I be in the (...) age group?
You age group for the entire Gold Cup season is based on your age on July 1, 2022.
- I see one of the award categories is "age graded". What is that?
You can read about age grading at https://usatfmasters.org/age-grading/ . If you have any other questions, please feel free to talk to our Statistician (Emily-Rose) at any Gold Cup race this season.
A thank you to our sponsors!
The Calumet Region Striders is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. We manage the club on donations and sponsorship. If you would like more information on our sponsorship program, please contact our Vice President at: email@example.com
Calumet Region Striders Google Drive can be accessed here.